September 22, 2011

Tough Grammy

There is a children's book that I love (surprise, surprise) by Mem Fox.  It's Tough Boris, and it's a patterned story of a pirate, Boris von der Borch.  It goes something like this.  Boris is tough...all pirates are tough.  Boris is scruffy...all pirates are scruffy.  You get the idea.  Now here's the spoiler alert.  I'm going to tell you how the book ends...after all the adjectives telling how tough, scruffy, mean, greedy, fearless,and massive Boris is, his parrot dies.  And Boris cries.  All pirates cry.  And so do I.
I thought about it yesterday when unexpectedly I was hit by the grief  of losing my mother last spring.  I was doing a simple task.  I had to deposit a check from her estate into the bank.  Suddenly, a flood of memories came over me and the tears began to flow.  Gut wrenching, cry out loud sobbing that left me sitting in the car and just letting myself 'get it all out'.  The tears stayed with me most of the day and I just let them be.  I know that it's normal.  I know it's something I have to go through...well, I don't think I'll ever be over it, really.  I do know how to accept it though.  So I share that experience, just so Mama at Law and Mama Cat understand that I'm not as tough as I act.  Just like Boris. 

I think you could take the Tough Boris book pattern and create one like this.  Grammy is fun.  All Grammies are fun.  Grammy is silly.  All Grammies are silly.  Grammy is sweet.  All Grammies are sweet.  Grammy is happy.  All Grammies are happy.  But when Grammy's mommy died.  Grammy cried and cried. And so do I. 

It's okay to cry~

1 comment:

  1. Pretty sure your book idea would be a winner. I understand how you feel.

    ReplyDelete