August 2, 2011

First Day Jitters

Mary Engelbreit's You Go, Girl!: 2012 Monthly Pocket PlannerWhen the calendar turns to August, my brain goes into teacher mode.  Even after retiring, I can't help anticipating those first hectic days when school starts back.  I flipped my ME calendar yesterday ( Yes, I still keep an old fashioned wall calendar and a day planner in my purse even though the iphone is keeping track of everything.)This month's quote was one I had not seen before and it is so fitting for this time of year.

"There is one thing which gives radiance to everything. It is the idea of something around the corner." ~G.K.Chesterton

First Day JittersEven after thirty years, I would still lie awake the night before the first day of school, absolutely unable to calm my excitement and anticipation.  The day itself was always exhilarating and exhausting.  You know, that good kind of exhaustion, where you feel a great sense of accomplishment. 

Some joke that they fear change.  I prefer to take Chesterton's outlook on it. I am eager to see "what is around the corner."  There are so many wonderful opportunities and experiences ahead, it makes me absolutely giddy to think about them. 

So I will be thinking about all the folks, big and little, who are beginning a new school year.  I hope it brings learning, adventure, friendships, and most of all, great accomplishments.

~Welcome back!

No comments:

Post a Comment