April 29, 2011

Only One Mother

When I was in first grade, my teacher, the dear Mrs. Sanders (who just turned 109 by the way), had a chart with the poem 'Only One Mother' printed neatly on it.  I, of course, could not read, but each day we would recite the poem until one day without even realizing it, I was reading!  Now, Mrs. Sanders was brilliant to use this to teach her small pupils, but the real inspiration for me was the connection I made instantly with the message.

Only One Mother
by George Cooper

Hundreds of stars in the pretty sky,
Hundreds of shells on the shore together,
Hundreds of birds that go singing by,
Hundreds of lambs in the sunny weather.

Hundreds of dewdrops to greet the dawn,
Hundreds of bees in the purple clover,
Hundreds of butterflies on the lawn,
But only one mother the wide world over.

Today, 51 years later, the poem came back to me just as I remembered it as a little girl who adored her mother.  Today I lost my mother, my one mother, my friend.


Hundreds of kisses, Mom~

No comments:

Post a Comment