February 4, 2013

Gator Gumbo

The summer before Katrina struck the beautiful and unique city of New Orleans, Papallama and I had a chance to visit.  I remember we walked around the French Quarter all night to the point that when we woke up the next day, we thought our feet would fall off!  I don't think my feet have ever been so sore from walking.  But New Orleans is sort of like the Worldwide Web, once you start exploring, there is no stopping.

While we were there, we enjoyed the wonderful food, and ate probably one of the best meals of my life at Commander's Palace.  It was so fancy smancy that even my best duds couldn't get us a table with the locals.  They were decked out in hats and gloves, let me tell you.

Yes, they know how to cook in NOLA, so we decided to take a cooking class.  We learned how to make jumbalaya, red rice, how to cook shrimp their way, and last, but not least, how to prepare gumbo!  It is a well orchestrated event, cooking gumbo, and you best have it all at your fingertips with a sous chef by your side. (That was my job.) Papallama has prepared this meal only one time a year, and it is an all time family favorite as much for the entertainment as for the food, which is delicious!

That brings me to the latest installment in what Grammy Reads these days.  PDub paid her a visit at the new house.  The new house has some unusual neighbors.  Gators!

So, I couldn't help but be reminded of Gator Gumbo, one of my favorite read aloud books.  Call it a cross between Brer Rabbit and the Little Red Hen.  This book is a hoot and a half to read! A hoot and a half!  P Dub absolutely loved it! And be prepared, because when you mess with a gator, things do not end well for you.

Later, Gator~

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you are enjoying your new surroundings. :-)

    ReplyDelete